It’s been a while since I’ve posted! But to be fair, it’s been a busy month. The weather is starting to warm up, and so is everyone’s social calendar. In the past few weeks alone, I’ve skied, attended a housing seminar, played hostess to my cousin and my parents, gone to countless happy hours, visited the Kreeger Museum and the Old Post Office Tower, and watched a rehearsal of the Shakespeare Theater Company’s Wallenstein. Whew! No wonder I haven’t had time to post.
And despite having a tiny kitchen all to myself, last night was one of the first nights I’d actually cooked anything beyond heating up some frozen dumplings. I’m really happy I christened my kitchen with these little spinach quinoa feta cakes – they were easy and quick. The hardest part (for me) was chopping the onion and resisting eating the feta cheese before it went into the mix :). Here’s how you make ’em:
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. minced garlic
5 oz. chopped fresh baby spinach
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 c. cooked quinoa
2 oz. crumbled feta cheese
1/4 tsp. lemon zest
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1. Cook the quinoa according to package directions.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes.
3. Add the spinach and cook, stirring often, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
4. Add the eggs, quinoa, feta, lemon zest, and black pepper and mix well. Mix in the bread crumbs and let the mixture sit for a few minutes to allow the bread crumbs to absorb some of the moisture.
5. Heat some olive oil in a large skillet.
6. Form quinoa patties about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Place the patties on the skillet in batches. Cook the patties, flipping once, until they’re cooked through and browned on the outside, about 4 to 5 minutes.
7. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Panini Happy. Enjoy!